Thursday, June 3, 2010

My Wolky Dion's: Compliment 1


It’s the time of year I pull out my Wolky Dion’s and for some reason, they are getting noticed this year — 3 compliments so far!

Mike’s Fitness, Jamaica Plain, in the brewery, third floor. There I was, sweating it out on the treadmill, staring out the big new beautiful window, when I became aware of someone at my side. There are 2 treadmills, 2 elliptical trainers, and 2 bikes on a raised platform. What I am saying is that she was standing about a foot below me. I kept walking, looking out the window, she kept standing there. Finally I looked over at her. Did she want my machine? There was an empty one right next to me. I was prepared to stand my ground.

“Those shoes,” she said. “I’ve never seen anything like them.”

Whoa. I am not nimble when it comes to switching emotional gears. I was stuck somewhere between cautious defensiveness and cheery charm. Which was sad, because I love my shoes, and I actually love talking about shoes, and even more, I love hearing other people talk about shoes. I just wasn’t expecting this. I mean she was transfixed!

“Thanks. They’re Wolkys,” I said. (At least, I hope I said “Thanks.”)

“What? Walking?”

Lots of people don’t get the name when I say it at first.

“They’re called Wolkys. From Holland. They are really comfortable.”

“Hmmm. Very unusual,” she said, and promptly walked away.

Which is when I started thinking of all the things I could have told her about them, all the different ways I could have shared some enthusiasm, adopted a marketing personality, and you know — sold the brand.

They’re great! You should try them! They are on sale all the time online at Sierra Trading Post. Or try Berk’s in Harvard Square. Or that funky store near Porter Square called Vintage Etc (which is now Cambridge Clogs). Or even DSW, if you can believe that. I have two other pairs of Wolkys. Sometimes they take a little while to wear in. Not these, but my ankle boots. And I haven’t even worn in my brown slip-ons yet. 


Right? Like that? Does that sound better, like a happy, peppy salesman?

No comments:

Post a Comment